Originally Posted by zarfkitty
... that acceleration for her is no problem, she just needs to get a 90% or above on the placement test for the class for which she wants credit.

My question is this: has anyone used EPGY to the end of 7th grade math and then had to satisfy a similar placement test requirement? It looks like EPGY jumps from 7th grade to Alegbra.

I like your school's common sense approach!

We had the same agreement with our son's school for math. Score 90% on the end-of-year test and that's it. He did this for 4th, 5th & 6th at the beginning of this school year. He used ALEKS to prepare for those tests, plus a little extra help from me on specific topics that ALEKS either did not address, or where terminology was different.

He started in EPGY w/6th grade back in December. Although he satisfied the school's 6th grade requirement, EPGY goes wider & deeper than ALEKS, so it has turned out to be a great next step prior to pre-algebra through EPGY.

Our hope is to have him take pre-algebra next year (as a 6th grader), which will set him up nicely for Algebra at the high school when he starts middle school in 7th.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz