My local group of friends is fairly small. My best friend is 30 years older than am I but we have a ton in common so I really love spending time with her and talking with her. She is raising a granddaughter who is btwn my girls' ages so that is nice too. Her granddaughter is very bright. She may be gifted; I don't know. My friend is gifted herself and takes no offense at my dds' abilities or accomplishments. It is an easy, comfortable relationship.

Another good friend of mine is very busy b/c she is mom to 4 kids ages 2-11, going to college, and hsing the oldest. She and her kids are most likely either gifted or very bright. Her oldest and my oldest are good friends. We do have rather different religious beliefs, but it isn't a big issue for me and I feel generally quite comfortable speaking with her about anything openly.

Beyond that, I can't say that I have a large social circle. Another local member of Mensa has started setting up monthly get togethers at a coffee shop which has been nice, though. I've been to a few of those and have enjoyed hanging out with the few others who show up. Most of us are in our 30s.

I have quite a few acquaintences who are parents of my kids' friends. Most, if not all of them, are aware that dd#1 skipped a grade and that dds are in GT programming in their respective schools, but I just don't discuss schooling with them much.

I am probably once burned, twice shy in regard to being open about dds. We had an ongoing difficult relationship for years with one of the only other moms I knew when we moved here from out of state. Her kids are around the same age as mine and it became really uncomfortable when her eldest started K b/c there were a lot of comparisons taking place btwn our kids from the other mom. Dd#1 reported being asked to read things to the mom when she was at their house and asked what "level" she was reading at, etc. Dd#2 wound up feeling like she was being negatively compared to both of the other kids b/c she hadn't skipped a grade like her sister so she was a more likely candidate for being told that she wasn't as smart as these other kids (there was no objective "proof" that this wasn't accurate). B/c dd#2 is already low on self-esteem re her intelligence due to having some big footsteps to follow in with he sister, this was particularly agrieving. Dd#2 is also gifted, but she is less confident and less consistent in her achievement than is dd#1.

I keep the relationship with this other mom pretty surface level and don't discuss kids beyond "they're getting big!" type of stuff. I really think that it is just an insecurity thing on her behalf and I don't think that my girls are better than hers. I just saw the comparisons hurting my kids which upset me.