Originally Posted by Gifted Mom
I think red shirting does muddy the water for gifted kids. DS5 is in first grade with children 1-2 years older. While we have been pushing for math acceleration (DS finished first grade math last year), his teacher often comments that DS is no different from his classmates and that she has a number of "mathy" kids. Frankly, I think there is a difference between my 5 year old who needs second grade math and a 7 year old who needs second grade math (and rightly could be in second grade). I don't think it's fair to compare a gifted 5 year old with a ND 7 year old and say they both need the same thing. DS5 learns math at a quicker pace and has a deeper understanding of the concepts, which requires a different approach than a ND kid. Also, these ND kids didn't sit through a whole year of first grade math last year, which is another story.

My point (as others have also made) is that red shirting affects the academic climate along with the whole emotional maturity piece.

I agree. This played out substantially in my DD's PS experience. She started K as a 4 year old. There were many in her class 6 turning 7 at the start of the school year.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader