Originally Posted by Kriston
I experienced a bit of "imposter syndrome" for DS8 at our first DYS event. I realized later, however, that I was comparing DS to kids a year or two older than he was. In the "real world," that comparison is close enough to work. At events for HG+ kids, however, even a few months matters a lot! A year or two apart is MILES apart! I realize now that he is now where those kids who seemed so "out there" and were a bit older were. Just because they can play Pokemon together doesn't mean they're the same age!

DS8 is not the smartest kid in the DYS program by a longshot, but he fits in there, I think. Certainly he had the sorts of fitting-in problems at school that required special attention beyond what the "normal" gifted kid would need.

I think that much of what we're talking about is personality and interest more than ability.

So no physics lab in the basement for us, but I wouldn't bet against its presence a few years from now! MILES away! wink

Thanks for this post. I feel like that a bit, and if we decided to attend the summit, that would very much be the case. Partly because Dd is young (still 6) and also because while she did have qualifying scores, she is not one of those with all subtests scores 17 and above.

I have to remind myself that not only their personalities and interests matter; but their interests also play a big role. When Dd started reading at 4, slowly and phonetically, I could not have anticipated that she'd be reading end of elementary level books before she started K.

A year is certainly a huge difference!