Everyday Math is KILLING ME!!!! If anyone is familiar with it the main concepts are based on repetition (learning and then going back to those previously learned concepts) and also explaining orally and and in writing how you get the answer! My son (4th grade) just knows the answers but has been penalized and put down by the teacher for not being able to orally or in writing express his answer (however, he gets 100% on all his tests and this includes an open ended question at the end). She keeps saying to me, even at his conference that he still can not do this???? So Everyday Math and writing assignments have definitely caused a dilemma when advocating for him (don't they think they should be perfect at everything?). I haven't been able to make an impact on the school and I've been fighting like crazy for the past year or more. It has actually gotten worse over the last year as they have taken away the G&T program and replaced it with an academically talented program which consists of all Language Arts (writing etc)enrichment - I was told that the future leaders of our country are going to be left brained (am I correct that that is not the math and science side??) WHERE IS THE MATH AND SCIENCE FOR ALL OF THESE CHILDREN WHO NEED AND ARE BEGGING FOR IT? I just don't understand. Our school would NEVER accommodate the way JewelsJC's school is. You are very lucky and I am very proud of your school for wanting to foster the strengths in your child. I would love to hear of other success stories. Unfortunately, my fight is beginning wane (well I say that now but I know I won't give up ;)).