JenSMP - You could easily be describing my GD5. I've forgotten, how old is your son? I've read about reactive hypoglycemia and have long felt that was a big part of GD5's problems with meltdowns. At home we give her snacks and try to make sure she eats every 2-1/2 hours or so. We try to get her to eat as much protein as possible but she is a very picky eater - textures, smells, tastes. The meltdowns are now pretty much limited to at school and right after school (she is in full day Kindergarten - I wish our SD had not done away with 1/2 day K). Sometimes I forget to feed her as soon as she gets home (well two or three times) and we've had some big scenes until I realize she just needs to eat. A few minutes after eating, she's back in control and generally cooperative. AND I KNOW BETTER! (Guilt - I know it happens at school & they don't get it.)

Some days she just can't make herself eat a good breakfast and it's a long time until noon lunch. Then a long time until she gets home on the bus at almost 4:00. She can be redirected and control herself much better now UNLESS she needs to eat (she usually doesn't realize that's what is wrong either). We've tried to get the school to let her have am and pm snacks but she would have to go to the clinic and that is an issue due to previous VERY BAD experience there.

Is your son a pretty good eater normally? We've even considered adding protein powder to muffins or "sweets" just to get more in her. The other problem is she does not eat much of her lunch at school (except on Pizza Day). They get to go play outside as soon as they finish their lunch and she would rather play than eat. Definitely a problem! DD has lunch with her once a week to try to get her to eat at least that day.

Let me know if you find that change in diet or frequency of eating helps.