Originally Posted by BaseballDad
So a question: Does anyone know how the EPGY math curriculum relates to what gets taught in schools? The emphasis on set theory seems a little odd, and not really what I remember from my childhood. But I may just be out of touch. If he's finished with Grade X in EPGY, do you suppose he should be prepared for Grade X+1 in the regular classroom? Grade X? Grade X+2? The Kindergarten teachers have been very supportive, and they seem simply to assume that he will be subject accelerated in math next year. But it would be good to have some idea what grade to recommend.

Here is the link to EPGY's answer to that question: http://epgy.stanford.edu/overview/faq.html#other

I am being told by other parents that it really depends on the program. For most it is at least the same as the school level, many above. I have heard that it is a little behind Singapore Math at the 5th grade level for the standard edition. Then again, Singapore math has always been ahead of US classes by about 1/2 a year in the younger years and by about 2 years by the time they reach 7th. I do believe this is beginning to change, it also depends on the edition of Singapore you are comparing.

The biggest advantage I see is that it is considered a rigorous program, and by many a complete math program, that allows the child to move at their own pace. I know of parents who use it alone and many of us who use it in additon to other programs. I am of the philosphy that their isn't one way to teach math, so my kids all use, at least grin, two different math programs.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader