Originally Posted by zarfkitty
My not-yet-identified DD10 and I were up to past 10 p.m. last night working on 34 repetitions of long division. (5th grade)

All of the problems had four digit dividends and two digit divisors and all had remainders.

Waaaay back in the dark ages -- like last year & the year before -- gaining some control over homework load, especially in math, was our first successful advocacy effort.

We didn't have any formal testing to show the teachers that our son was GT -- only his performance in the classroom.

The endless repetition was driving our household positively batty, and the forcing of our son to complete the interminable worksheets when he clearly knew the subject matter was painful at best.

I finally had a heart-to-heart with his teacher (repeated for each subsequent) and explained that our son simply did not need all that repetition and that, if anything, it was counter-productive. I asked that I be allowed to excuse him from any math homework provided he demonstrated mastery of the given topic and that he also showed during class discussion and testing that he "got it."

Each of the teachers was reluctant, but we pressed for the change and were ultimately successful. I'd preview the homework each night, assigning him a portion -- if any -- depending on his understanding. One teacher finally gave me the entire workbook and allowed me to pre-test each section at home and to dole out the worksheets entirely at my discretion.

He got his A's on the tests, which made the teacher happy. He also got to do whatever he wanted during math, which made him happy. And I didn't have to arm wrestle this kid through pages of mindless repetition... which made *me* happy.

Start with baby steps, perhaps by asking that you be allowed to reduce the number of problems each night based on her understanding. Depending on where you are with GT ID (and/or your teacher's attitude toward GT), bring out the articles that discuss the reduced amount of repetition required by GT.

*DISCLAIMER*
I positively detest long division, and always have. I would have sold my siblings or pets to get out of doing it. It is, I believe, the work of the devil. And it also happens to be the #1 gripe with my son. Because of the tedious nature. It's not hard for either of us... it's just so time-consuming.

BUT... we recently had a few nights of Long Division Marathons. He was getting sloppy on decimal division, which was causing all sorts of problems. We worked through 20 - 30 problems a night, including some impressively monstrous problems, until it was much less traumatic for him. Yeah, I know, I'm evil. But he can do it correctly and consistently now without all the drama.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz