Hi everyone,

My not-yet-identified DD10 and I were up to past 10 p.m. last night working on 34 repetitions of long division. (5th grade)

All of the problems had four digit dividends and two digit divisors and all had remainders.

The kids were required to show their pre-problem estimations, their "guessing and checking" to find the answer, and their "checking" of their work by multiplying and adding.

The estimating process was taking her about 5 minutes per problem because she was having some perfectionism issues - if her estimate wasn't spot on she'd get frustrated. Also, she insisted she was supposed to round everything to one significant digit before she estimated (this created several guessing and checking steps afterwards on several of the problems).

By halfway through the page, I told DD just to use the standard long division procedure that she already knew how to do. I'll take responsibility for any fallout - I hope they were just trying to avoid the calculator issue.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

What does math homework look like for other 5th graders out there?

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+