My DS6 (turning 7 years old in November) is scheduled to take the CogAT at the end of November in a group setting at school. DS's school uses this for 1st grade students to determine their eligibility for the Talented and Gifted program.

I've been reading through many of the past posts regarding the CogAT, and I'm getting worried about having that be the test to determine his eligibility. The principal said that if he doesn't score high enough on the CogAt to get into TAG this year, we have to wait two years to get tested again. So I'm wanting to make sure the test is an appropriate test to be used for him.

A year ago he was tested privately using the WPPSI. He scored in 99.7% in verbal IQ, 99.0% in performance IQ. But his overall score dropped to 96% due to a low score in coding. (The tester said that at the end of the timed section, my DS said that he didn't realize it was timed. He had never taken a timed test before, so I don't think he understood her directions.)

So, this is a very long way of asking, do you think I should have a private tester give him the WISC IV instead of having the school give him the CogAt? (I'm double-checking to make sure the school will accept the outside tester's report, but the policy manual makes it sound as though the district will allow it.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!