My dd is in 2nd grade and gifted.

I just walked out of her teacher conference and I'm sort of stunned. Basically it summed up to her comprehension and reading levels did not match (she was only tested to 6th grade) and on the reading she got 100 percent and on the decoding she passed at 5th grade with a 70 percent. So her teacher said she is lacking in reading comprehension. I asked her if she talked to dd about the books she reads in her free time and was told that it wasn't a form of acceptable evaluation and she didn't have time (she teaches 15 children).

But the nuts and bolts of the conversation is that d dis not a go-getter, she finishes her work late (I inquired if it was late or average and she hesitated and said average). She is not motivated to complete the work quickly for more work (aka enrichment work).

It turns out that it doesn't matter what level she is reading, she would still need to follow the curriculum. eventually there will be reading groups and she will be paired with a boy who finishes his work quickly who is almost at the same level but she doesn't think dd will work faster (almost said as though she will hold him back).

I guess I'm wondering if something is wrong with dd. She knows the answers but doesn't perform enough for the teacher to really care.

Should I even bother encouraging her to work faster?

I guess I'm disheartened. She loves learning at home and reading and discussing her books with me. Why does there seem to be such a disconnect at school?