This absolutely happened when dd started K. I had told the teacher at the open house night before school started that dd was reading and I had asked if she had suggestions for books. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "Oh, I can't really think of any in particular".

We were only at this school for the first 3 months of K and then we moved to NV but before we left dd had gotten a progress report from her teacher. She had marked dd "at grade level" or below in every subject INCLUDING reading, of which hardly any of the other kids were doing yet. Two weeks later we were in NV and at our new school. Within a week I was told that they needed to do some testing with dd since she seemed quite advanced. A few weeks later I was told academically she tested out at 2nd grade level with her reading at 2nd grade as well. She was too advanced for any of the K work, but they didnt want to skip her yet due to maturity issues (and the fact that she had only just turned 5) and so all year she did accelerated work.

How did the first teacher not see this at all? My answer: Gifted blindness. frown Thank goodness we had to move! I can't imagine where dd would be right now if she was still in that school.

Last edited by Tammiane; 12/13/07 12:17 PM.