I'm bringing this over from the hothouse thread. I think we need a term for this inability to see the intelligence of highly gifted children. Any suggestions? Have you seen this? Did you live it?

Originally Posted By: Tammiane
I actually wonder if some parents are thought to be hothousing simply because these GT kids are so high. Maybe its easier to think that its the parents pushing than the fact that the child is actually highly gifted? Know what I mean?

I'm sure you are correct Tammy. My son was quite "invisible" to many of the School Folks at his old school. I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge invisable wings, that some teachers couldn't see. All they could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. Obviously there was almost no place to actually fly during the school day. Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Well - things didn't turn out that way, and we got quite an education.

We definitly need a word for 'gifted blindness' that is quite normal in this culture, perhaps that for another thread?

Smiles,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com