Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I did reserve a copy of Late, Lost, and Unprepared at Barnes and Noble.

Interestingly enough, today was conferences at DS's school. They were student lead and included a self-evaluation and education plan written by the student. Part of it had the student rate him/herself on a list of 10 executive function skills. DS gave himself all "2"s (1 being lowest and 5 being the highest). It was very eye-opening for me to see just how DS thinks of himself.

I talked to his teacher about my concern. She told me to "look around the classroom". She said that in her experience, especially in 3rd grade, that most profoundly gifted students don't give executive function components much attention and the the majority of younger PG kids tend to have some executive function challenges. She said the change from the beginning of 3rd grade to the end of the school year is amazing. She said DS has superior abilities and that his processing speed was a bit slower. She said that, in her opinion, sometimes he has a challenge keeping up with his thoughts.

It was definitely food for thought.