My DS8 is in a public school that serves the top >1% of the gifted students(beginning at 3rd grade) in our area. The selection process to be invited to this school is very rigid. I am very glad he is where he is. The staff is highly trained and I saw an immediate change in the classroom vibe and the quality of coursework. The school makes a concerted effort to "educate" the parents in the various aspects of the social/emotional aspect of their profoundly gifted students.

That being said, I have started to become concerned about a set of behaviors exhibited by my DS. He is sloppy. for lack of a better term. He does not fill out his daily agenda with his homework assignments, he sometimes zones out in class and misses important information. He doesn't appear to think ahead ie- study for tests when they are a few days out. He can be forgetful. His writing is awful. He does not appear to have a fine motor skill issue as he is a proficient pianist and guitar player, as well as a Lego fiend.

I find myself having to step back and realize that he is only 8. He could simply be acting age appropriate but this lack of attention and attention to detail is so out of synch with his cognitive ability. After searching a bit, it seems that he is exhibiting quite a few symptoms that are right in line with insufficient executive function.

I was a bit concerned that, according to the literature I found on line, gifted students who display these symptoms can be suffering from ADD/ADHD.

Does anyone have some insight into executive function and how a deficit in it can affect a student and, more importantly, how I can help him?