It seems as the novelty of school has wore off for my son. DS(5) just started Kindergarten this August. He keeps asking me: "I thought school is for learning, when will I start to learn new things?"
DS is not accelerated, he is in regular K and is in a gifted pull out program (40 minutes) 4x a week.
Last week we received the full report of his achievement testing (which we have done privately) and no wonder he is bored: word reading 3.8 grade equivalent, numerical operations 3.0, math reasoning 4.3, reading comprehension grade 7.0 (?) and pseudo word decoding 5.2 (the last two test norms were used for first grade).
I brought this report to his school and asked to schedule an EP meeting based on his scores. I have a week to get ready.
I am starting to gather all the information I need coming in to the meeting. I want to be well informed of all options available.
But in my mind there is a Big question: Are schools (Public school in this case) even able to deal with a such a gap between age and knowledge? Is it even doable? Are you in similar situation and it is working for your child, please let me know what schools are doing in such case.
I appreciate all the help I can get on this issue. Thanks.