Thanks everyone for your comments - Dandy, creating a test account to do the assessments "as him" and use that to judge what course to have him do is a brilliant idea, thanks especially for that.

[on rereading, maybe I'm replying here to something that was actually addressed to Dandy, but never mind!]
CFK, I've drooled over AoPS courses, but as far as I can see they don't have weekend classes at all, so DS wouldn't be able to "attend" the interactive sessions. (Unless school wanted to facilitate that, but it's really too much to ask, I think. At the moment, he does ALEKS online at home - just a few minutes every day, I don't think he'd have the energy left after school for a 90 minute class even if AoPS ever does them then our timezone - and we make sure he always has a fresh ALEKS worksheet in his bag so that his teacher can have him do it whenever it fits what's going on at school. He likes having the ALEKS sheets at school, and in fact at the moment, "so that your ALEKS sheets don't get all boringly the same" is the most convincing argument for him to get more ALEKS points on his pie.)

Last edited by ColinsMum; 10/04/09 12:18 AM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail