DD likes it very much so far. I think she relates in some way to Fred. When I first looked through it, I thought I may have made a mistake. She's already covered fractions, and much of the material is repeated in this book.

However, once we started working through it, I see a difference. Her previous work on fractions was "isolated" the way you learn in a traditional math book. With LOF you read through his story and pause at the end of each chapter to work a few good quality problems.

It seems more like applying what she has already learned situationally, similar to the way a parent would ask a child to figure out math issues that pop up in real life to the child some real-life application. (Like today we're going to paint dd's room, and I'll be requiring her to figure the area of her 4 walls to determine the amount of paint we need.)

Also, it covers several other topics like Roman numerals and some geometry. The references to figures of speech throughout Fred's story are spot on, because DD did a unit on figures of speech last semester. She also read Wind in the Willows last summer, and gets those references too.

She must really be enjoying LOF, because she asks for it in her spare time.