When my 11 year old twice exceptional son was tested by a neuropsychologist to confirm an earlier verbal diagnosis of motor dyspraxia so he could finally get therapy, I not only gave the neuropsychologist a copy of the WIAT and educational psychologist's comments, but also a detailed history of my son's milestones and examples of things he said and did at various ages. They found it very helpful. I think it helped us get the diagnosis. Until then, we had to deal with people who didn't believe that he had any kind of disability. They couldn't understand why he had difficulty doing certain things when he sounded so very smart every time he opened his mouth. They assumed it must be laziness and this was very difficult for my son. He was very sensitive to this and as a result I felt I had to be a helicopter parent. The only person who really understood was the mom of one of my son's friends who has a degree in special ed and has gifted sons. When we had trouble getting pediatricians (different one every year) at the military base to listen to us, she encouraged me to keep trying.

I am so glad we finally got a diagnosis on paper because my son is finally getting therapy and my anxiety level has decreased. The physical therapists noticed that my son has really flat feet and this in addition to the low tone issues was causing the leg and foot pain. Every year the pediatricians told us it was "growing pains" and to just give him Tylenol. They never took the time to try to figure out why he hurt.