Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by Jamie B
My son is at a public Montessori school and one of the kindergarten teachers has her masters in gifted. Before the school year started she and I talked and she advised me to call the state board of education to get help. I was hoping he'd get into her class but no such luck.

I'm writing a note to the teacher tonight to request a meeting. I'm hoping that the principal and perhaps the counselor will join us so that we can discuss what can be done.
I was wondering why you started with the school board! Mystery Solved! I think it's a great idea that you talk to the Teacher, and then ask the teacher for her support in talking to the Principle. The next step is to talk to the Principle (no matter what the teacher says, LOL) Advocacy is a long, slow process, and doesn't always 'work,' but if you can't homeschool or change schools, then it's the only game in town. Don't let what the lady at the board of ed said worry you. There are the 'standard' answers and the 'now that I know your kid' answers, and often they are quite different. Perhaps a switch to the gifted 1st grade class will be a fabulous fit?

It's a long journey, so pace yourself! Onward ho!
Grinity
I've tried with his teacher once this year already. She was going to move him to another grade for reading but decided against it because he's too fidgety. She said she won't even consider it until after Christmas. I decided to see if the school board had any policies about it that I could use when I talked to the teacher again.

Thanks...I think I'm ready for the journey...maybe smile