need some venting...

My DD6 keeps complaining about 1st grade. Today she said it feels like preschool but she doesn't get to play.

The teacher sent me a email a few weeks back that she was sad in school. I knew she was sad about missing some of her friends, adjusting to less playtime. I also mentioned please challenge her. I let her know: I believe she is reading at 2 or 3rd Grade level.

Last year, the kids in her class were in reading groups. She was in the top group reading paragraphs on a page. I would think they should pick up where they left off in Kindergarten and then see what they have gained over the summer. They are sending home little story books where they subsitute the word for the picture. WHY????? She is reading all her picture books with paragraphs. Once in a while she needs help with big words. She also reads some of her brothers Jake Maddox books that are about 3 grade level.

Then there is the coloring. She would rather draw her own picture. The Math seems to easy - Why are they asking these kids to do patterns? Can't we move on already?
I could just cry...Here is a girl who is ready and eager to learn. Isn't that what schools want?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/21/09 07:28 PM.