Please, by all means continue being a board hog! I can't tell you how much this is helping me.

I'm sure you know how hard it is to talk to other moms (and dads) about this. Just finding somemone who understands means so much.

As for the grade skipping, it doesn't seem the right thing for her. She's finally made a couple of friends in her grade. One who appears gifted as well. And, while she intellectually advanced, socially is a whole 'nuther story! And, when I say that she's small, I mean she's always one of shortest girls in her class and she is ultra sensitive about this. But I can completely understand you wanting this for your son. It seemed like the best idea for him from what you wrote.

I know that this does not have to be this difficult. Not sure how, but feel like if we feel like this, other people, and teachers, must sense the unfairness of this. That those in the top rung academically don't get what they need to be challenged and to *learn*. My friend Maura, the teacher, said that teachers in her school talk about this too. So it's at least talked about in our schools. But there is literally no funding for g/t education here. Nothing, nada, zip. So, even if she's tested, not sure what that would do.

The thing with Sophie is that every teacher that she has had up to now has commented on how bright she is. Last year's teacher called her "scary smart". She has eyes that are like laser beams when she's paying attention to something, absorbing it like a sponge. And she is very quiet and endearing. Teachers seem to take to her and want to help out, knowing that she's not learning yet. I feel like if I can somehow use that to my advantage, that we can finally get somewhere. Not sure how to do this, though. Ok, think I'm rambling now. I think I need sleep, LOL!

-Ellen