Don't get me wrong I definitely appreciate your help but I don't get what concerns you have about the math plan? Next, he will probally get an IQ test to try and qualify for DYS. Iq test will need to wait until at least Oct. When gifted teacher is done getting him oriented to Math 5. I wonder about the Explore test - would that outline for everyone just what he knows and should be doing and any holes is math?

He is staying with class - so avoids isolation, He is getting more challenging work with help if he needs it, gets to work at his pace and he gets to do extra workbooks he loves with some to check and explain methods if needed. I think if he went up a grade he would for Math he would still need to work faster than the class. So why go there? He reads and calculates faster than his "non-Mathie Mom" The only part I question is listening to 5 mins. of instruction of 3 Math before he does his page. They want him to do this so he knows everything for the IOWA test.

DS has a very late summer birthday so we held him back. after 1st Grade, he switched from a Montessori type school (that was helping him manage his intensity) and repeated 1st Grade at his current school. Our choice was let he be the one of the oldest or the youngest. Many 9 yrs olds are in 4th Grade at ds's school.
We wanted him to feel big and considered maturity.

DS's school Math is Saxon Math. This was my understanding of how they did Math last year. Teacher goes thru each problem with the students on side A of paper -about 20 mins. ds did work in 5 mins. Side B is do for HW.

Here are some of the extra workbooks from mindware.com he has been doing and loves.
I'm thinking these are out of the box/enrichment books. again, I'm not mathie. other suggestions for expanding his math thinking beyond regular curriculum would be appreciated.
Code Breakers
Can You Crack the Code?

Math Perplexors
A Fun Way to Practice Math and Logic Skills

Math Path Puzzles:
What's the Missing Part of the Equation?

Perplexors
Solve Logic Puzzles Using the Process of Elimination

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/30/09 08:54 AM.