Given the opportunity would you choose to send your child to a school for the gifted?

I know some of you already do. What has been your experience? Are your kids happier? Have you found any drawbacks? What about socially?

I'm really interested in your candid answers. DD7 is in 2nd grade now. Her school has tried hard to meet her needs but with any public school there comes a point where the options are limited. At times I wonder if having dd in an environment where she can learn at her speed would be the best thing for her. Would she flourish in a place where she can learn subjects when she's ready to regardless of her age, ie: chemistry, foreign language, etc.

Her school has not suggested a grade skip. I'm not sure if she's even ready for one since there are things in 2nd grade that she has not learned yet. The thing about dd is how quickly she absorbs information. If she doesn't know how to do something it takes one instruction and she has it mastered. Her 2nd grade teacher has commented on this many times. This leads me to wonder how well she would do when allowed to learn at her own pace. Am I making any sense? My dilemma: Is public school with adjusted work the best for her or is it ultimately a disservice?

I know you can't answer my specific question of which is best but hearing your personal experiences helps me think through these questions. wink