Jon,

Thanks so much--that was very helpful. I suspect our DD's are a bit similar from your description (right down to the q & a example you posted wink ). Neither my DD nor I lean to formulas and algorithms as the way to understand math, so what you shared was definitely relevant to us. I've seen AoPS mentioned, but haven't looked into it, so that will be my next step.

I do like your idea about possibly using ALEKS as an assessment tool. Her school has not been very good about doing any kind of diagnostic assessment to determine what she does/does not know, and her ambivalence towards the subject requires that someone actually probe a bit to have an accurate picture.

Wish I had a magic answer for the paragraph issue. I tell students that not bothering with conventions in writing is the best way to ensure that very few people will take the time to listen to what they have to say. I also find it helpful to read it aloud with phrasing matched to the punctuation/paragraphing they used. When they hear it read the way it actually reads, many students are irritated by the mis-match between intent and message, and are more inclined to edit.

I'm not sure if the paragraph was drafted on computer or by hand, but fwiw, I've noticed that computer drafts seem to net less revision/editing resistance.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Taminy