Hi all,

We are considering trying ALEKS with DD10 (gosh...it feels weird to write DD10...she's--what's the phrase someone else used?--freshly minted). Anyhoo...not sure what level to start at and want to get the most bang for our buck out of the trial (we have tried a few things that she hasn't particularly loved, but this is first virtual option we've considered). I was trying to figure out level from the site, but am just not sure, and it seemed like the placement tests were course specific rather than a question of which course. Is that right or is there an overall placement that would point us to the right course?

The math she was doing in school was largely independent work in Singapore math workbooks (no supporting textbook) where she was wandering through level 5B. We also tried on Life of Fred fractions. She read the whole book one night without doing the associated work, and is now not as excited about it because she already knows the story whistle Given that, I'm having her skip from bridge to bridge to make sure she knows the math. So far she hasn't gotten stuck (I think she's done about 2/3 of the book since she just did bridge at chapter 19). So...any thoughts on the appropriate ALEKS course to try on? Also, does anyone know if we can get a trial course for each of our DC? I'd kind of like to try it with my DS7 too, but since he has just finished a year with actual math instruction at his level (vs. DD10 who just finished her 3rd year without it), I'm prioritizing finding something for DD.

A couple other factors: DD does not love math, but has solid reasoning and did reasonably well on EXPLORE. She hates repetition and bores with math easily, but is rattled by "not knowing" after so many years of finding math boring/easy. I'd appreciate any input on which class we should try.

Thanks!

Taminy