Having lived through something similar with ds7, I would say that unless you suspect your child may have some special needs (as in disability) that require intervention, I would hold off on any therapy. I would be very skeptical of any recommendations made by the folks at the pre-school or county. In my experience these well-meaning professionals are out of their league and do more harm than good with gifted kids when they start suggesting something must be wrong. Working in the field of education -specifically behavioral services, it is truly sad to see gifted kids end up in behavioral disordered classrooms and written off by teachers and administrators.
We all have different personalities and temperments. Why is it that schools rush to standardize what they deem socially appropriate in terms of peer relations? From my personal and professional experience I see a lot of over reaction. I had a guidance call me concerned ds was isolating himself on the playground, blah, blah, blah... DS was happy playing alone bc he said the other boys were too rough. After a few more calls I told ds to play with someone - please. That day he came home feeling very bad. He shared with me that he did play with the other boys but he did not like the game. The boys were playing a game of tag that involved "killing" police!!! Um, that was the last day he played that game! How did the counselor respond? "At least he was playing with the other boys." OMG! How badly I wanted to smack some sense into her.
I agree with Kriston - an older person may be a better peer match.
Just another thought - sometimes educators will beat around the bush by making statements like never having a kid like this before or needing help so they can better understand the child. Sometimes what they are really trying to do is set the stage for telling the parents they suspect something like Asperger's - which in my humble opinion is grossly misdiagnosed - especially in NJ. Definitely see Dr. Amend and then you'll have a qualified opinion.
Best of luck!