My 3rd-grader hasn't been identified as having a LD, but I'm starting to wonder.

Although she is clearly very smart, she does struggle somewhat. Focusing has always been a big problem for her. For as long as I can remember I've had to remind her to "listen with both ears." Homework this year has been surprising--lots of skipped questions, directions not followed, problems half answered. She memorizes spelling words instantly, but has more trouble with math facts and has been so slow on timed tests that her teacher called her in for remedial work. Yesterday she complained (in a wistful way) that she has a hard time with directions.

Her WISC-IV scores were really erratic--very high VCI, but average WMI and PSI. Her PRI was all over the map, isn't useful. According to what I've read about score discrepancies, her spreads throw both the FSIQ and the GAI out the window.

The school psychologist who administered the exam hasn't said a word about her scores. If the scores were a major red flag, I'm assuming she would have. On the other hand, the scores make very clear to me that I have not fully appreciated the extent of my daughter's weaknesses. I thought her inattention was a simple developmental issue, something common and mild that she would grow out of. (And this is what her teachers all along have indicated when they brought it up.) But maybe this is something more? If she's noticing it now, as an 8-year-old, what will it feel like in a couple of years when her teachers aren't helping the class with directions and organization?

Part of me is afraid to pursue this with the school. I'm not confident about what their response might be, so I'd rather investigate this on my own before getting the school involved.

For parents with kids in this situation (by which I mean similar weaknesses but not receiving therapy/support for LD), what have you noticed over time? Do the kids "grow out of it" at some point? Is there a way to better help them focus on instructions etc, something more effective than simple reminders? Are there helpful books out there that address this? There are some great threads on this forum, but I feel I need a basic narrative. Just wondering where even to begin....

PS I'm wary about creating a disorder where there isn't one, which is why I'm looking for stories about these weaknesses before contacting the school.

Last edited by mmme; 06/16/09 05:25 AM. Reason: PS