Yes, DS11 was given an official diagnosis of dysgraphia when he was 9 and I took him for some private testing to try to find out what was going on. The psychologist also diagnosed ADHD and thought that was the biggest obstacle to his completing schoolwork, but I now think differently.

Now in 5th grade it is easier to see what's going on. He did his book report one month by dictating it to me, and the next month by writing it out by hand. The dictated report received an A, used fairly sophisticated language and complex sentence structure. The handwritten report received a B- or C, was very short, and used much simpler structure and vocabulary. When there is a large discrepancy between oral & written skills, especially at 11 and given a background in education in English, then it points to something being wrong.

The Eide's book called "The Mislabed Child" has an excellent chapter on dysgraphia and writing. There are different types with different causes. For some people the typing works, for others it doesn't. My son is learning to type at a much slower rate than his older brother did. Our goal this summer is to push the typing and see if this works for him. If not, other accomodations have to be considered.

I know a lot of teachers (and others) believe strongly that children should learn to write pen to paper to develop that hand/brain connection. I think this is true, unless it doesn't work! Then I think that learning and expression have to take priority over our ideals.

BTY, my son's teacher has said that he would still like him to do in class journal writing (which is ungraded) by hand. For him, it doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.

Also look at the Eide's websites. There is some good information there. The piece that really put things together for me was their mention of the incredible emotional strain writing difficulties can put upon a child. I had sometimes thought my son's refusal to write was emotionally based, but now I see that I think I've had things backward.

I am actually planning to take my son to the Eide clinic later this year for testing. Their information on the combination of gifted, dysgraphia, and premature birth is the most complete that I've been able to find.

Sorry this is so long!!

Benny