Hi all,

My DS7 has just skipped 3rd to 4th. His handwriting was always a bit of an issue (I thought not willing) but it has now become a problem. Not the writing itself, which is neat and legible. Not the spelling or punctuation which is fantastic.

It seems to be the process of getting words out of his head and onto the page.
If it helps to interpret, his scores were:
VCI 146
PRI 139
WMI 135
PSI 109
FSIQ 143
GAI 153
on the WIAT II
written expression 88%
spelling 98%

I have researched a bit about dysgraphia but he doesn't seem to completely fit. He received a principal's award for spelling last week when he achieved a high score on the year 5 extension word spelling list.

In his WISC testing, the tester said he was a reluctant writer and his approach to the task was more complex than required (ie combining two sentences into one turned into a short story, developing the characters and providing a lot of information that wasn't asked for).

The other problem is, it hasn't always been this way: it seems to have slowly gotten worse. In year one he was dictacting fantastic presentations for show and tell. They were creative and well structured. His verbal communication has always been way ahead of his peers (so much so that his second grade teacher told me the other kids often had a problem understanding him).

So, if not a learning difficulty then could it be a bad habit as a result of dumbing down?

I have bought him a dictaphone so he can talk the paper first and then write it down. I'm hoping this will take me out of the equation and give him a bit more independence. Being in fourth grade, he now needs to research and write a research paper.

This is keeping him up at night. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers

(thanks if you got this far - just realised how long my post is)

Last edited by tory; 06/10/09 12:08 AM.