Hi my Ds will be 4 this fall so he is not due to start public school (K) for another two years. Our schools test at the end of second and then any GAT kids go to a one elementary school (which is also a regular elementary) starting in 3rd and they retest again I think in 5th and maybe 9th.

I have been considering homeschooling at least until I can get him tested and into 3rd. I know I could do it just fine and I have no problems with it but, Ds is adamant that he is going to school. I know it is my decision not his but, I also think Dh is more inclined toward public school. We do have a gifted private school in our city but, it is all the way across town so probably a 45 min. - 1 hr. drive in traffic.

My big question (in all this rambling) is what do I do to make first contact with the school? I could probably get him into K early he is only about five weeks past the cut off. That would be the 2010-11 school year. Should I call them, email, write a letter, or wait and get him tested?

I just wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot with the school and put them on the defensive. Also if I start homeschooling him in K this year like I plan to he is really going to be ahead. I am assuming he will go through K and 1st very fast homeschooling. He is reading really well and doing beginner math now without me doing anything. He is also VERY tall for his age. People think he is 5 now.

Help! 8)