Originally Posted by Trinity
Little hint: If a child is gradeskipped they, and their families tend to blame everything that ever happens on the gradeskip. Be ready, and at least a bit skeptical. As I tell my friends, some problems can only be fixed by a timemachine, but thankfully I don't have access to one, because my life would be over, always going back and re-doing, and re-undoing, because things would never be as good as I seem to feel that they should be. Isn't there a bear who dropped his fish because he looked into the water and saw another fish? We here have to be very very careful of that type of behavior.
Trinity

An excellent point! A skip probably won't solve all problems, but it probably won't be the cause of all problems thereafter either. I think it becomes easy to romanticize how things were if a choice turns out to be less than ideal. But there's a good reason for pursuing this skip. Remember that! smile

I'm a big fan of making the best choice I can given the evidence available to me, and then letting go of the second-guessing and regret. I analyze situations to try to improve next time, but I try very hard not to kick myself if things go wrong.

If you do the research and make the best choice you can, then you can let go of the hindsight. You did the best you could and that's all you can do. This goes double for these big educational decisions, IMO. So much pressure! And frankly, doing something to try to make things better--even if it were to turn out to be the wrong thing!--telegraphs to your child that you care, and that alone is worth a lot to a kid. It makes you an ally.

All the best to you!

Kriston