Originally Posted by OHGrandma
That's not the way scouts is supposed to be run. Talk to the leaders and if it's not changed, take it higher, if you still don't get satisfaction, find a new troop.

I talked to the parents of another boy who is my son's age, but will cross over to Boy Scouts next year. Their son has similar sensory issues and would have difficulty with some of the same physical requirements. Their son was diagnosed with autism but it looks to me like it is very mild. They want my son to stay in scouts and I would like for my son to stay in scouts so maybe we can work together to get some changes made.

My son had a couple of friends over for his birthday party and sleepover and we asked the 14 year old friend why he dropped out of scouts. I was really surprised that he had quit because he called us last year to tell us he was having a lot of fun at scout camp and had just hiked up a hill in 100 degree heat. It was then that I realized we might have some problems if my son crossed over to Boy Scouts so I asked my son's 15 year old friend if he thought my son would like it. He said no and he only stays in it because his parents make him. This is the boy who seems the most like my son but doesn't have my son's physical issues. He has a lot of sensitivities and even some that my son doesn't have, but he loves doing musical theater and quickly learns those difficult dances that my son has trouble with and he has no fatigue issues. I think because he is also gifted and highly sensitive he understands my son's difficulties better than any of my son's other friends.

The 14 year old friend told us he dropped out because it got boring. I think we definitely need to make some changes. I hope we can talk the 14 year old into going back into scouting. I know he and my son's two other friends in scouts would help him if he needed help without making fun of him for his lack of coordination and physical strength. He and my son have been friends since my son was 4 1/2 and first joined the musical theater group. He never complained when he had to do dance routines over and over so my son could get it and he talks about how smart my son is and how he should go back to public school where he thinks they would have to put him in the same grade as him. He told my son about a math competition he is involved in at school and I would love for my son to do something like this if only they would allow part time school, but they don't and there are no homeschool groups near us that do this.