Dottie,

Our school is very much into "procedures" and this is an area DD has always been graded low. I would describe her as the absent minded professor type who gets lost in her thoughts and has difficulty starting something if she has something better going on inside her head. Her math class uses timed tests, which do not suit her well. I am not as concerned about the grades, if it weren't the deciding factor for gifted classes and other enrichment at school. In 4th grade it is still by teacher recommendation.

Lorel,

I wondered if DD had some ADD type behaviors, but this is situation specific. Someone with true chemical based attention problems could not have the focus and attention DD does when she researches something of interest to her or when she does more challenging work.

Trinity,

You are so true. DD is one grade ahead her age, there are children 18 months older than she is in her class as well. Even with that said, I wonder if she is getting enough challenge? DD was tested individually in pre-K admission and was in the 99th percentile for everything except fine motor skills. In 3rd grade she was tested with her schools achievement tests and her cognitive readiness test was in the exceptional range (CSI 140 with a 141 ceiling) and her subject specific tests were in the gifted range. She will take the EXPLORE test in Jan. which I hope will give the school and us a way to discuss the future.

Jeni