GalaxyGirl,
You are right that teachers don't "get it" when it comes to gifted children, especially highly or profoundly gifted children. The problem is that teachers rarely see children as advanced as your daughter so they don't know what to do with them.

I've discovered that most teachers don't really understand what the test results mean either. I've presented my daughter's Wood**** Johnson and Stanford Binet results to teachers before and usually just get that glassy-eyed look. I found it more effective to explain IQ in terms of chronological years. For example, if a child has an IQ of 150, she will progress intellectually 1.5 years for every chronological year. A six-year old with an IQ of 150 will be roughly the intellectual equivalent of a nine-year old.

It sounds like your daughter's teacher might be open to more advanced material once she spends more time with your daughter. If your daughter is allowed to read during her spare time, ask if you can send reading material from home. This may allow the teacher to see her true level of reading. The materials in the classroom may not be advanced enough to truly demonstrate her ability. My daughter had a book in her backpack the other day that she was reading for pleasure. The teacher was surprised to see her with a book of that level and asked her to read some. The teacher mentioned the incident to me because she was so surprised that my daughter could read so well at that level.

Don't give up hope.