Originally Posted by master of none
So, if someone can "hothouse" their baby to read. I feel like the baby must be ready in some way.

I have seen a distinction made in the literature between a child who teaches him or herself to read early and a child who is taught to read early. I have also heard that it is possible to teach a "normal" child to "read" at a very basic level through the use of drilling (or through regular video viewing) but that these kids typically do not stay ahead. Whether that is true or not, I have no way of knowing.

I definitely think that it is possible to push children too hard in one direction, and I think kids respond to it in one way or another. MY DD would respond by pushing back, but that is probably because I have taught her that she gets to make her own decisions and that I will love her no matter what. Other kids might respond by working as hard as they can to learn something they're not ready for to please parents they think will otherwise be disappointed. I don't think these kids are being "made gifted," but they are probably traumatized. And it is also somewhat traumatic for me to know that others think I've done that sort of thing to my kid. frown