Thanks everyone. I rush typed my post and didn't have a chance to proofread before submitting. blush I guess I am more apprehensive than I originally thought.

Shari thanks for the link. I wonder how I missed that advocacy guidebook it is an excellent resource I can use.

Grinity and Dazed & Confused. Once again I learn from your words of wisdom. The Principal is the one who brought up grade skipping and expect's it is the best way to proceed at the moment. The teacher has acknowledged she hasn't kept up with him academically but hasn't offered anything beyond mild supplementation of 2nd grade materials. confused

I looked up CA's 2nd grade standard's and I am confidant he know's the majority of them and most of 3rd grade too. I am going to print them out and go over them more thoroughly and assess what ds knows and doesn't for myself. We have been hesitant to grade skip but the more it has been on the table the more dh and I feel that it is the best possible way to proceed. Especially since I get the impression that he will not be able to get any sort of differentiation before 3rd grade. At least in 3rd grade and beyond they have a teacher in every grade that has taken courses in gifted education. He will also have access to the GATE coordinator and GATE program.

Afterschooling would get him back on track as far as giving him challenging work and re-adjusting his attitude to it. I have noticed some resistance to thinking things through if it isn't easy. I have even contemplated pulling him out of school daily right after lunch to supplement his education myself but didn't want to hinder the little progress we have had getting the school to accommodate him. Has anyone ever done that? Our time after-school is limited because of his along with his sibling's sport's and church activities. We like to also give the kids some play time.

Thank you again. Now I have some advocacy resources and things to do while waiting. Any more thoughts?