Originally Posted by Dottie
Way to motivate the kid there Oma!!! I think I misread your first post, but if you are asking about Explore/ACT overlap, I believe the tests are designed somewhat so that a score of say 17 means the same on both tests. It's not as clean cut as this, because the ACT obviously has more advanced material, but I believe that's the design intent.

This data is fun...

http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/pdf/benchmarks.pdf

But remember these are goals for 8th graders to do "moderately well" in college. Of course we'd want our kids to top that heartily by 8th, if not sooner. It's fun seeing just how much sooner that can be, wink . The corresponding ACT goals could probably be expected 2-3 years later (junior year?).

Based on Davidsons qualifying scores for the Explore & ACT, I estimated that a 17 on the Explore was equal to a 17 on the ACT. And with the ACT having a higher ceiling it would naturally have a higher range of scores.

I don't know what I was thinking when I said GS might take the ACT next school year. He has plenty of room to improve on the Explore, he's not bumping any ceilings at this point. My whole point in having him take the Explore next Jan is to check on his progress and advocate for subject acceleration in 6th grade. I think the only reason I'd really have him take the ACT next year is if the school officials seem unfamiliar with the Explore. He doesn't have the stamina for a longer test at this time and I don't think he'll have it by Dec.