My dds are in a 90/10 model Spanish immersion program. In K and 1st grade their language of instruction was Spanish for 90% of the day and English for 10% of the day. Each year after that the English instruction increased by 10%. By 5th grade the instruction is 50% English and 50% Spanish. Your immersion program could be a 50/50 program, which may provide a different level of challenge.

With the 90/10 model, school was great through 2nd grade. In third grade school started to become tedious for my dd. By the end of 3rd grade my dd was grade level fluent in Spanish (speaking, reading & writing). She took her 3rd grade state standardized language test in Spanish and made 100%. My dd stayed in the program for 4th grade because it was necessary to guarantee that her little sister would get into the program. Fortunately, she had fabulous teachers who worked hard to keep her engaged. It also helped that in our state 4th graders work extensively on writing. This was terrific for my dd because she still has room for improvement in grammar and vocabulary development in Spanish and her teacher worked with her at her level.

For 5th grade we are planning to homeschool. There is just nothing left in elementary school for her to learn, but we were happy that it was successful for so long. My dd did not have an option to skip a grade in the program because her class was the first year of the Spanish immersion program in our district.

If my children had been in an English classroom, they both would have skipped Kindergarten. My oldest would have required at least one additional grade skip at this point. For us the Spanish immersion program was the best option. Now that my dd9 is fluent in Spanish, she is moving onto her third language - French.