Your DD sounds just like mine. However, my DD may be a bit better at staying put in class. I firmly believe that my child's greatest gift is her energy and enthusiasm. I have found her trigggers and try to work with them.
People can slam me, but she still uses a pacifier at 4. It calms her down. She is very oral and would go right to her thumb. Everything is touch. She always want to hold my hand.( a little annoying while driving my manual car).
Because she is sensory, I use alot of touch. We have a twenty minute cuddle session every morning time permitting. When she is agitated I get down on her level and hold her. We work as a "team" and I tell her Mommy is always on her team because I realize that she must feel out of control sometimes and I want her to know that she is not alone.
She definetly is sensitive to some red/blue dyes. Blue dye makes her an absolutely crazy lady. I cut out dairy and she gained weight (she had been very skinny)
But the best thing I did was read
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Your-Spirited-Child-Perceptive/dp/0060923288
I am not against medication but I think everything has to be ruled out first. My ped. requires an 1 hr appointment to renew ritalin and I think that is how it should be.
I was just thinking that my brother, who is 45, would be pushed into medication if he went to elem. school today. He is very sucessful and it is exactly the drive and energy that use to drive his teachers crazy that got him where he is today.
Good luck these things always seem worse in the beginning.