Originally Posted by Lori H.
My son's vocabulary and comprehension and general knowledge seem to be at a higher level than his math ability, and people have told us for years that he talks like an adult. I don't think my son is as gifted in math as he is in other things but I still think he is gifted in math no matter what anyone else says. He just has to work around his handwriting issues and this might make him appear to be slower in math if he is required to show his work and do a lot of writing. When he is allowed to compensate by doing math his way, he is able to do so much more.

See we feel, from both working intensely with our son in all aspects of learning, that his giftedness is global and that his mathematics performance is greatly impacted by his inability to write and the school district's inability to accomodate his writing delay in math. We do fel he is gifted in math. My husband is very advanced in mathematics and he feels in his work with Mite that he displays extremely advanced ability. This isn't just a proud parent or pushy parent thing. We are truly concerned the district is pulling him down in math by refusing to accomodate his disability to give him access to the currculum.

Willa Gayle