Hi,
some of you may remember me from 2 to 3 years ago. i have an 11 year old son, Mite, who is gifted and learning disabled.

we need some help getting ready for his 3 year eval and transition into middle school. the first thing we need to understand is the discrepancies on his WISC IV (VCI 138, PRI 92) and whether or not that means he's "delayed" in math.

See, we contend he is gifted in math, but his dyspraxic handwriting difficulties and his severe sensory issues interfere with the learning and expressing his knowledge. However, the district employees insist he is not gifted in math but just has a "good vocabulary".

On the Scantron Performance tests, we have seen Language Arts scores as high as 99th percentile, but he varies from fall to winter to spring. In math we have seen him score as low as 35 and as high as 98th percentile.

The district employees think that 98th percentile is "just one score" and as such is a fluke. We contend that is what he is capable of and the district is failing to provide adequate rigor to allow him to maintain the knowledge.

Also, it is my understanding that a child who scores above 130 on either the VCI or PRI is gifted. VCI and PRI both measure intelligence and the PRI does not measure mathematics knowledge. The VCI is also not an indicator of vocabulary but rather the subject's ability to comprehend the world verbally.

So, help me. First of all am I off in my understanding of these things. If so, please explain it to me. Then does a one time score on the standardized Scantron of 98%ile represent a "fluke" or does it represent a lack of rigor?

thanks,
Willagayle

Willa Gayle