I don't post regularly, so forgive me for reintroducing myself. DS 8 is a DYS. DD 7 loves to play dumb.

Anyway, after a recent discussion with her teacher, I began to think we had to do something for her. DH agreed and so we are springing for time with her brother's tutor. Granted, only one week into things is early to give up, but she was horribly shocked and offended at the harder work. She said it made her feel dumb.

Why? The tutor gave her a list of upper elementary vocabulary words and had her look them up in the dictionary. Granted, it isn't exciting stuff on its own, but they are beginning a study of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and the tutor wanted to make sure that DD wasn't skipping over words she doesn't know.

(She does skip over words she doesn't know. Just like Mom....)

Anyway, she is 7 and is reading at a 7th grade level. Just a hair above where big brother was at this age. Granted, she may or may not jump 5 grades in the next year like he did, but still. She is obviously smart in her own right.

My question is this: Is it possible to fight the acting dumb instinct and transform my daughter into an achiever? I need to hear that someone has successfully done this. If so, I won't give up. If not, I may just have a tantrum of my own.

Mary

Mary