Thanks so much for answering back. I was trying to think if we had a process or not. Mainly I guess I have been talking through things on whatever days we have issues and then backing off at our next session and doing smaller chunks to show DD8 that she can do it. She is capable of more than she knows I think just judging from what I see her figure out with no explanation. I definitely agree with the comment about risks and I was thinking on that one. I'm hoping it's a matter of building confidence and that maybe she will cope better as she gets older.

I doubt I will ever convince my DH that two engineers need to PAY a tutor for math smile....But I have been using mentors/friends for other issues. Non-academic example, bike riding wo training wheels. DD8 had refused to try or mostly even ride her bike even w/training wheels due to an accident over a year ago where she fell. Finally a friend worked with her and basically goaded her into trying and it took less than 10 minutes. I'm afraid it's a bit of perfectionism. She absolutely hates to be wrong.