Thanks so much for your input. I just spoke with the principal the other day about their plans for DS.

He's already in a 4th gr reading group and will begin going to 4th gr math and writing (writing only because 4th gr math is at 3rd gr writing time). She said that he would essentially be a 4th grader for the remainder of the year.

In response to your points...

1) This is one of our major concerns. Apathy is beginning with DS already and I'm sure it's because he can't stand doing things that don't stimulate or challenge him. I think going to 4th grade for a majority of his subjects will help with this. We also worry that if everything always comes so easily for him, how will he learn to work for it, ie. study, really put forth effort, etc.

2) We're going to Hawaii and they do have gifted programs, from what I've been able to find out. However, I've yet to hear positive things about the public schools. There's a private school for the gifted that sounds amazing, so we may check that out.

3) LOL, DS would most certainly let everyone know that he skipped 4th grade (which makes me cringe because of the possible reactions). If this all pans out, we plan on presenting a case for keeping it quiet to DS and just hope that he blends in well enough.

Our main concern is that he be placed as appropriately as possible for all facets. Right now, the dominant factor for him seems to be the intellectual need. I'm pretty confident that he'll make friends OK as long as they don't meet his ego first, LOL.

Thanks for your thoughts.