We are coming up on report cards and teacher conferences so I'm interested in opinions and BTDT experiences that might help with this first meeting with our teachers.

As I've posted elsewhere here, my son is whole grade accelerated into 2nd and twice accelerated into math with 3rd grade. The issue is that he is getting straight A's and doesn't seem to be challenged really at all. There are SOME areas of reading we are working on - he seems to interpret reading material pretty literally and so his comprehension is relatively lower than other areas. But last year he took the Stanford Achievement Test at school, end of first grade, and scored in the 99th% overall. Only missed 3/114 questions. Overall, the reading material does NOT seem challenging and he brings home papers with As or 100% on them.

The same is true with math. Our school uses the Saxon math program and there are bits and pieces in 3rd grade that are new, but he picks these up quickly and then has to repeat the task over and over on homework - that's how Saxon works. He does more advanced math at home just for fun!

Both teachers think that he is being challenged. I'm not sure why and am eager to talk to them in person. We have only been emailing so far. So, my question is what do we do now? At the beginning of the year they were saying that they were prepared to modify math, but I'm not sure what to ask for, if anything at this point. I just feel like he could be learning more if they would let him go at his own pace.

Do accelerated kids still get all As or is that a sign that there still isn't enough challenge?!