I attended a refresher course on using the Interactive Metronome treatment (I'm an OT for those who don't know wink ) and was pleasantly surprised when the presenter included gifted kids in her list of those who benefit. I ended up having lunch with her (always a good idea to eat lunch with the presenter if you can!) and we talked a little about the needs of 2E kids and how they get lost in the shuffle. She was wonderful - I can share her contact info if anyone lives near Bradenton, FL and wants to check her out.

I was happy to hear her echo what I have found and that IM is an excellent way to support and boost the asynchronous skills of gifted kids. She shared with me that in her practice she gets calls from parents who are just looking for "brain boosts" to help their kids focus better for tests as they approach high school, to ease the stress and anxiety of essay writing (due to cognitive or mechanical skills) and to help them "feel better in their own skins." Her experience is that kids seems happier after successful intervention with IM.

I'm glad I went to the course - as 3/2 I start a brand new job in an outpatient pediatric clinic and am now fueled up to start with fresh ideas! But I thought I'd share the IM info again because I really believe in its ability to help with neurological processing. Check out the website - there's links to research and a provider list:

www.interactivemetronome.com

(disclaimer: I have no vested interest in IM - just providing information as a resource!)

Last edited by doodlebug; 03/01/09 07:17 AM. Reason: typos!