Originally Posted by FrustratedNJMOM
They won't accept private testing (highly reknowned doctor ID son as gifted & needing academic accomodations) & insist we wait till the end of next year for their group ability testing. So basically my son will have been subjected to at least 3 years of remedial education - really, isn't that what it is?

Wow, doesn't sound like a good experience at all. I am curious, is the principal saying that they won't accept private testing? Also, even if they won't accept the testing you are able to schedule a meeting with support staff (psychologist, social worker, principal, teacher, etc.) to discuss your child and what is or is not working in the classroom. That is your right, and they can't deny that. We call the Child Study Team meetings (CST's) every place/state is different. I would talk to them there about your concerns. I would also be persistent about scheduling one and asking when the date is instead of waiting for them to get back with you and schedule something. I don't know if the psychologist you used could help advocate for you (attend a meeting or suggest someone that could) to help support you...but that would be helpful. Also they seem completely uneducated about gifted children and may need some gentle help with learning. Or you could always try homeschooling, but I personally would be more apt to try it if the school still wasn't working with me by the end of the school year and if they hadn't made any changes yet.