Hello,
I just wanted to have someone to tell about my DS3's first day of preschool (Head Start) today. (yes he's started late, and that is a long frustrating story I wont go into.)
Anyway, I guess I just had hopes for the most optimal situation. It was ok i guess, just more worried now about my son. He's very social and loves other kids, but the kids just didn't get anything he was trying to do, and say. He ended up just the loner boy the whole time. Maybe it was just because it was the first day. Also most of the other children don't speak English, so i guess that could be the biggest reason. They're learning shapes and colors until January. (which he knew at 20 and 18 mo.)
One of the teachers met with me and asked if their is anything specific I'd like his teacher to work with him on. I told her i don't know if they do this, but He's reading and I would like it if his teacher could work with him on reading.
THe lady said " NO we don't do that, the children learn letters first, then they learn the letter sounds. So would you like me to write that you'd like her to work with him on letters?"
I didn't say anything because i was trying to register what she had understood and was trying to say. Then she said
"How about letter sounds, I'll write down for her to work with him on letter sounds." I just didn't say anything. Just felt kind of dumb. Now that I'm home thinking about it, I think she thought i didn't understand how children are taught. I think she just totally dismissed the idea of him reading, or missed it or something. Anyhow his teacher will see.
The way his home based Head Start program works is he has a teacher that will come to our house every other Tuesday to teach him for an hour and a half one on one. Then on the weeks she doesn't come he goes to a preschool one day for 3 hours and has class with the other "Home Based" kids.
So his teacher ought to figure it uot when she comes.
I also looked up some Head Start publications that spoke of what should be done in Head Start, for the gifted.
http://www.headstartinfo.org/leaders_guideeng/part6.htm
( If you scroll down there is a section on "Adaptations for children who are advanced in Development")
Anyway if they don't plan on doing anything for him do you think it would be beneficial to refer to this?
they also Had a meeting today with parents and chose/volunteered and nominated president, etc of the parents group. I'm President and also the Delegate parent of our Head Start group and will have to go to county School meetings. I'm not sure what I'll need to do, but I volunteered hoping it will help me somehow start to have a say on gifted education.
Anyhow I'd love to hear your opinions of it all since most of you have been there.
Also none of the parents speak ENGLISH. Only Spanish, So, anyways it was interesting. I had no idea that many people around here couldn't speak English. I had to be translated to. It was an interesting experience.

Last edited by Jenafur; 10/12/07 05:53 PM.