Quick refresher- we had DS4 and DS7 tested back in January for a local GT charter school. We decided to use their group testing because it was free and we can't really afford testing for both kids. The school wouldn't tell me ahead of time what test they use, but it was the CogAT. DS7 has already had partial WJIII achievement that showed solid GT with a possible HG+ leaning. DS4 we had tested just to see where we were (with a suspicion we were dealing with at least a very bright, if not GT kid).

So the results:

DS7
Verbal- 129
Quantitative- 125
Nonverbal- 118
SAS composite- 127

DS4
Verbal- 114
Quantitative- 110
Nonverbal- 91
SAS composite- 104

DS7's are at least *almost* GT and I can comfort myself with the fact that the CogAT is a screener and not designed for gifted kids, etc. But, DS4's scores honestly made me laugh out loud. The kid can do a 100 piece puzzle in less than 10 minutes and yet has a 91 nonverbal? I'm seriously at a loss on how that's possible.

We went into the test thinking that the worst that would happen is that we wouldn't know more than before, expecting that any group test was going to be a low, possibly extremely low, estimate. I'm just really bothered by the scores. They don't show at all what we see at home, our experience watching the boys interact with other GT kids, nor the achievement testing we have for DS7. But, they were enough to soundly exclude them from the school, so they must have some validity, right?